Sunday, June 8, 2008

This is a painting I did a couple of weeks ago.  It is of the historic Whiteside Theatre and is based on an old photo from the county historic archives.  As an experiment I began with an exaggerated ink sketch using a Sharpie extra fine pen on  a canvas board.  I used a Sharpie because it is permanent from both water and mineral spirits.  Then I used light washes of oil paint to add color in such a way that the ink is still visible.  I blotched the paint with a paper towel to increase the funky effect.  The idea was to be able to frame the piece without glass as an oil painting. 

2 comments:

lyn said...

Welcome to EDM and WOW! nice website! I love watercolor and don't like the framing so I love your light wash oil. I had not done oils in many years and tend to thin it out like watercolor when I did a few. Now I'll persue thin oils further! Beautiful photography!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

very nice...like it alot